How To Research Abandoned Funds

September 25, 2023

There are companies that will promise to find abandoned funds for you. Please note that each state has an abandoned property, known as escheatment, department. Look for it on your state government website. It may be part of the Comptroller's office, for example. These searches do not cost any money and the application process to claim funds is also complimentary. Be mindful of scams. Abandoned funds might come from sources such as prorated insurance premium refunds, bank account deposits, security deposits, refunds, etc. The claim process may require you to submit copies of identification and, if claiming on behalf of a deceased family member, the death certificate or other documentation.